Academic Summer (age 13-18)
Academic Summer runs quality GCSE, IB and A-level preparation and revision courses in July and August. We welcome international and British students aged 13 to 18.
This course is for you if you:
- are following or planning to follow the IB Diploma or A-levels or GCSEs
- need to revise a particular academic subject
- are considering continuing your education in the UK
- plan to use English for study and work in the future
- are looking for a stimulating and enjoyable summer learning experience
- enjoy meeting and communicating with people from a wide range of countries and cultures
- are looking for a typical boarding school experience, would like to study in the centre of London or Cambridge; we have an option for you.
You will study in English in groups of no more than fifteen students. The academic programme is 30 hours per week and includes four 75 minute study blocks each day, lectures, workshops, assemblies, educatonal visits and tutor time.
You are encouraged to work independently outside the classroom to develop study skills to take with you to school, university and beyond into your professional life.
Lessons integrate theory and practice. If you are a scientist, you will also find yourself doing practical experiments in the science laboratories. If you choose design and technology, you will complete a practical project in the workshops. We want you to enjoy studying and be challenged academically. We encourage students to think like mathematicians, linguists,economists, historians and scientists and develop a love for their subjects.
Your teachers are looking forward to sharing their enthusiasm and love for their subjects with you. They are qualified and experienced and will make your lessons interesting and relevant to your needs.
If you choose to follow the Academic Summer programme, you will leave with:
- enhanced subject knowledge
- improved learning skills
- a head start on your GCSEs, IB Diploma or A-levels
- better academic and social communication
- increased culture awareness
- competence in the use of English as an international language
- certificates and reports to add to your personal academic portfolio
- the confidence and motivation to achieve your Personal Best
"My experience at Academic Summer has been one of the best so far. The DLD college is a very comfortable place, all the tutors and teachers are helpful, kind and always at your disposal to help you, I felt like I was at home literally! Moreover, I met lots of new people from different cultures and still keep in touch with them, I had the chance to see the beautiful London in the afternoon and to do plenty of exciting activities and workshop at the college. It's been an enriching experience for me and I'll never forget it!" Giulia, 18, Italy