Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL)
Our methodology is centred around CLIL – Content and Language Integrated Learning which gives a holistic approach to learning. CLIL has been described by experts as a major methodological revolution in language teaching.
Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) is an approach where students learn a subject and the language at the same time.
According to Coyle (1999), the CLIL curriculum is based on the 4 Cs:
By studying on one of our camps you will:
- enhance your content knowledge and revise key curriculum topic areas in your subjects
- develop your cognition skills. This is your thinking and learning skills which include your higher order thinking skills (critical, logical, reflective, metacognitive and creative thinking). Teachers will guide you to think for yourselve: analyse data, discuss outcomes, discover & create your own opinion and present & negotiate with their peers.
- work on your communication skills in the English language. You use language to learn whilst learning to use language. You will learn to give a good presentation and write an extended essay.
- understand culture and your role as a global citizen, your beliefs and values enabling you to develop a reflective knowledge base
You will develop your communicative use of English as an international language and academic language proficiency, whether you are a native or non-native speaker of English.
You will improve your:
- interpersonal communication skills – spoken interaction to discuss academic subjects informally
- academic language proficiency – skills in formal written work and spoken presentation of subject specific ideas
We encourage a positive atmosphere in CLIL lessons so that the learners’ affective filters are lowered and the learning takes place in a relatively anxiety-free environment.
The benefits of CLIL
- It is a more natural way to improve your language skills. It gives a real context in which to use language and you get more from the subject content if you understand the language around it.
- It is will engage you and you will be better motivated to learn
- You are exposed to content and language together so this improves your acquisition
- It encourages you to develop 21 century skills which includes the ability to think critically, be creative, to communicate and collaborate.
We want you to enjoy learning with us and be able to approach your subjects in a new and interesting way. We will challenge and inspire you.
In the summer we are not restricted by curriculums which means you cane explore your subject areas and start thinking like a mathematician, a scientist, an historian, an artist, a social scientist, an economist, a politician or a linguist.